Saturday, March 20, 2010

All About Corn


On Friday I got the chance to be one of the guest teachers at the Cook County Ag Day. The event which was put on by Farm Bureau was held on the south side of Chicago at the High School for Agricultural Sciences. About 450 4th graders were invited to come and learn about Illinois' contributions in farming. While I did the corn section there were also classes in everything from cattle and pigs to careers in agriculture.

Going in, I was a little nervous because corn is such a big subject but it ended up being a really fun day. Instead of giving the presentation in a lecture format I made a game show out of it with the boys against the girls. With each question I got to give a little bit of background. You can really motive kids to participate when you include a prize at the end!