Monday, March 7, 2011

Silos on the brain








With this post I assume the risk of overbloggin about silos and silage. My apologies. The trouble is, with all the research and work we are doing with the subject they, silos, seem to be haunting me. As an example, this past weekend I drove back home to see family. I am from a farming community not far from Omaha, Nebraska. As I headed out of Chicago I thought about a recent exhibit meeting where I made the point that silos are disappearing from the rural landscape. As my car headed West out of the city I consciously watched for the first silo. It appeared just off Eola Road in Naperville. Then all the sudden I saw another one in Aurora. By the time I passed the Oberweis Dairy I was able to see multiple silos. In fact, this lead to a new game. I wanted to see how far I could make it before there were no silos in sight. Starting in Aurora, I made it basically to Omaha and only lost the sight of a silo twice. So much for my theory of the great disappearance of the mighty silo. As it ends up, I could not have been more wrong. In fact, at one point West of Dekalb I had 33 silos in my forward field of vision.
I learned something else very important on my trip. If you want to really embarrass your pre-teen daughter just start pulling off the road and ask random people if you can take a picture of their silo. I couldn't just drive by some of these really interesting silos and not take a picture. By the second stop Cassidy had assumed the stooped down position in the car and maintained it for the rest of the trip. Good times with Dad!