Monday, September 19, 2011

Timber !







Sorry for the long break between posts. It is not because there hasn't been anything going on. Actually, it is quite the opposite. Thank you to all the blog readers who check in with me to make sure I know they are ready for some new posts. (O.R.!)
Last week we had a crew come in and do some tree trimming and removal. Like the rest of the Northshore communities, the farm has been hit hard with Emerald Ash Borer. This is a little insect that gets into the tree bark and then eats the "bloodlines" of the tree until it kills them and then moves on to the next tree. There are treatments to protect the trees but so far they are only partially successful. Between the Ash borer, the Dutch Elm Disease and the bad storms of recent, the town of Glenview is looking hurt.

I have to give props to the guys from the tree crew. Without hesitation, they not only climbed to the top of the trees, then they proceeded to hack the trees down and perfectly place every falling branch. It was so impressive that a bunch of people stood in awe watching these men working. I looked out my office window and wondered what had so captivated all these people's attention. When I saw what they were looking at I had to snap a couple of shots.