Friday, June 1, 2012

Summertime Strawberries and Pies

Posted by Sarah

One of the sure signs that summer is approaching is when the first ripe strawberries make an appearance in the garden.  June is a favorite month among many staff at Wagner Farm because we get to enjoy this fruitful bounty for several weeks.  Our rhubarb plants also look lovely this time of year, so I put the two together and made a strawberry rhubarb pie a couple weeks ago for folks to enjoy.  I started wondering what kinds of recipes my historic cookbooks had for this kind of pie, so I went to one of my favorites: The White House Cookbook from 1887.  To my surprise, I only found a recipe for rhubarb pie-strawberries were completely absent!  In light of this discovery, I thought I would share the recipe with our readers for your own culinary pleasure.  Happy pie baking (and eating!).

Rhubarb Pie
The White House Cookbook
Mrs. F. L Gillette and Hugo Ziemann, 1887

Cut the large stalks off where the leaves commence, strip off the outside skin, then cut the stalks in pieces half an inch long; line a pie-dish with paste rolled rather thicker than a dollar piece, put a layer of the rhubarb nearly an inch deep;  to a quart bowl of cut rhubarb put a large teacupful of sugar;  strew it over with a saltspoonful of salt and a little nutmeg grated;  shake over a little flour;  cover with a rich pie-crust, cut a slit in the centre, trim off the edge with a sharp knife, and bake in a quick oven until the pie loosens from the dish.  Rhubarb pies made in this way are altogether superior to those made of the fruit stewed.