Monday, August 11, 2014


A Note From Roxanne Jungé, the Farmers' Market Manager
Photo by the Glenview Lantern

News From the Farmers' Market
Even though the market on August 16th was scheduled to be on the Farm grounds, it will NOT be on the farm grounds, but will be in the parking lot. Unfortunately, it has been difficult for the elderly and shoppers with a handicap to navigate the uneven terrain and to walk from the parking lot, across the road, and all the way around the market, which is more spread out when the market is held on the Farm.

At one point last week, I had to grab a chair for one elderly gentlemen using a cane, who looked like he was just about to topple over. My conscience has been convicted. We have come to the decision that we will always hold the bulk of the market in the Historic Wagner Farm parking lot (besides the vendors who are always on the farm) unless we must move it to the Farm because the Greek Orthodox Church needs their own parking lot for an event.



Vendor Updates

  1. The number of vendors across the street is growing! There are now 5 permanent vendors there, plus one or two more occasional vendors every week. Don’t forget to include them in your visit to the market!
  2. Alison Bower, creator of Ruth & Phil’s Ice Cream, will only be at our market for one more week! About a week ago I was entertaining and I served Ruth & Phil’s “Star Anise Ice Cream with Berry jam Center”. The guests raved. I wished Alison could have been there. But I’m guessing she already knows how good her ice creams are.
  3. Sometimes our vendors sell out way before the end of the market. Remember, you can contact most vendors ahead of time to place orders to pick up at the market! The Eating Well serves veggie burgers and soups for me. White Star saves chunks of my favorite cheese for me. Breadman Baking Co. saves my favorite loaf of bread for me. Foodie Bites puts together special-order trays of savory bites for my dinner party hor d’ouevres. Gail’s Brownies saved a tin of brownies, etc. Get the idea? To place an order, visit our website to see who will be at the market and click on their websites. Some farmers prefer you to phone them, so get their phone numbers at the farmers’ market!
  4. I heard from The Eating Well. He (Daniel) was so sorry they weren’t at the market when they were scheduled to be. He is looking for someone reliable, who loves his products, to sell for him at the market. Could that be you? He is interviewing now. If interested, contact him.
In Roxanne’s Kitchen
I've been eating blueberries on pancakes, cereal, fruit dessert and snacks. Froze a few pounds for winter use. The farmers are selling them at this time of the year in large boxes. High in antioxidants!


I also recently made bread & butter pickles! It’s easy! Pickling cucumbers from Didier Farms and the Glenview New Church Community Garden (which I manage). Onions from Midnight Sun Farm. Some spices from La Spiceria. My husband thinks pickles are the best ever. And I can’t tell you how satisfying it is to be able to draw excellent pickles, jams, jellies and tomatoes from my own basement pantry all year ‘round. Each time I do, I get a chance to thank my farming friends again. It puts real meaning into the saying, “Know your farmer, know your food.” Want to make your own pickles? Try my recipe below!



Bread & Butter Pickles
(Makes 8 pints)

4 quarts sliced pickling cucumbers
6 medium white or other sweet onions, sliced
3 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup coarse salt
4 cups sugar
3 cups cider vinegar
1.5 teaspoons celery seed
1.5 teaspoons turmeric
2 tablespoons mustard seed

Add sliced cucumbers and onions, garlic cloves and salt. Cover with cracked ice. Mix thoroughly. Let stand for 3 hours. Drain thoroughly. Remove garlic cloves. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over cucumber mixture. Heat just to boil. Fill hot, sterilized pint jars to ½ inch form the top. Wipe rims. Add hot lids and screw rings onto jars. Put jars into stockpot or canner full of boiling water. Water must cover the jars at least 1 inch above the lids. Bring water back to a boil and process (boil) jars for 10 minutes. Remove from canner and allow to cool. Jar lids should “pop” or “click” down to show the jars are sealed. Place sealed jars on pantry shelf. If a jar does not seal, refrigerate it for use.